Type of studies
The Computer Science study program is a graduate academic study program in the field of Informatics/Computer Science at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Novi Sad.
Professional, academic or scientific title
Upon completing the program, successful candidates obtain a MSc degree in Informatics – Computer Science.
Duration of studies
The duration of studies is 2 years, 120 ECTS in total.
Purpose of the study program
The main purpose of this study program is the education Computer Science specialists with emphasis on deep understanding of fundamental principles that govern the development of efficient algorithms.
The experts of this kind are recognized as a necessary human resource for the development of a knowledge-based society that has already been significantly developed in the countries of the European Union, the United States, Australia, Japan, etc. Since 2000, Serbia has also been exposed to the increased need for IT staff due to increased investments and the emergence of foreign companies and standards in the IT field, as well as in other areas that have the need for IT support.
The overall structure of the study program
In order to obtain a MSc degree in Informatics – Computer Science each student is expected to pass all the mandatory courses within the study program and collect at least 120 ECTS.
The study program consists of mandatory courses, a set of elective courses and the Master Thesis. There are 3 mandatory courses, 21 ECTS in total, while the Master Thesis takes additional 30 ECTS.There are 28 elective courses within the study program. Students select elective courses to complement 51 mandatory ECTS to reach at least 120 ECTS points.
The content of the mandatory courses refers to qualitative and quantitative methods of scientific and professional research in Computer Science. Elective courses include the following topics: advanced data structures and algorithms, advanced combinatorial and geometric algorithms, advanced topics in programming (functional programming, distributed programming, high performance computing, development of mobile applications), foundations of software engineering, foundations of data science, and advanced topics in relevant mathematical disciplines.
The lectures are predominantly auditory, accompanied with contemporary visual teaching aids. We keep up the good contemporary trends of academic IT education, with emphasis on exercises, practical work for students in computer classrooms, as well as student projects and seminar papers.
Within the study program, students are required to write and defend the master thesis. MSc thesis should include description of goals and problems, an overview of the current state of the art in the subject area and description of obtained results.
Goals of the study program
The goals of the graduate IT study program are:
- training for successful individual and team work,
- understanding and critical evaluation of information requirements of software systems,
- getting acquainted with modeling and design techniques for various software architectures,
- application of formal methods for understanding and solving problems,
- designing and implementing distributed systems as well as their integration,
- component-based development overview at all stages of software development
- education of all-round experts in the field of Computer Science, who will be able to participate in the work of software teams and to contribute to the study of computer science, as well as to solve the non-standard problems that occur in practice,
- provide competence for independent scientific work
- understanding the impact of abstraction, modeling, architecture and patterns on the development of a software product
- a critical assessment of the importance of formal methods in testing,
- knowledge of the latest research directions and achievements in the field of Computer Science.
Curriculum ordered by semesters and years of study for the study program Computer Science
|Course code||Course title||Semester||Course type||Course status||Active classes||Other classes||ECTS|
|2||CSIG1m||Elective group 1||1||I||5||5||5||0||0||24|
|4||CSIG2m||Elective group 2||2||I||5||5||5||0||0||23|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||16||12||11||2||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||41||60|
|1||CS501||Enterprise Systems Development||3||SA||O||2||1||2||1||0||8|
|2||CSIG3m||Elective group 3||3||I||5||5||5||0||0||22|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||7||6||7||21||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||41||60|
|Total hours of active teaching, other classes and credits for all years of study:||82||120|
- Course type: AO-academic-general education, TM-theoretical-methodological, NS-scientific-professional, SA-professional-applicative
- Course status: O-mandatory, I-elective
- Active teaching hours: P-lectures, V-exercises, DON-other forms of teaching (laboratory exercises, seminars, etc., depending on from the specificity of the study program)
|Course code||Course title||Semester||Course type||Course status||Active classes||ECTS|
|Elective group 1|
|1||CS701||Data Structures and Algorithms 3||1||TM||I||2||2||1||0||8|
|3||CS703||Advanced functional programming||1||NS||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|4||CS704||Seminar paper C||1||SA||I||1||0||2||0||4|
|5||CS706||Mobile application development||1||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|6||CS751||Combinatorial structures in Computer Science||1||AO||I||2||2||0||0||6|
|8||CS791||Privacy, ethics and social responsibility||1||TM||I||2||1||1||0||6|
|Elective group 2|
|9||CS709||Big Data Analysis||2||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|10||CS710||Seminar paper D||2||SA||I||1||0||2||0||4|
|11||CS711||Software project management||2||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|16||CS716||Complex Network Analysis||2||NS||I||2||1||2||0||8|
|17||CS717||Software engineering in critical systems||2||NS||I||1||2||0||0||4|
|18||CS718||Operating systems 2||2||NS||I||2||1||2||0||6|
|20||CS757||Advanced Computational Science and Optimization||2||NS||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|21||CS758||Advanced topics in Combinatorics||2||AO||I||2||2||0||0||6|
|Elective group 3|
|22||MDS20||Uvod u procesiranje slike||3||SA||I||2||2||0||0||6|
|25||CS708||High Performance Computing||3||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|26||CS753||Continuous and Multivariate Probability and Statistics||3||TM||I||2||2||0||0||6|
|28||CS755||Model Theory in Computer Science||3||AO||I||2||2||0||0||6|