Type of studies
The Information Technologies study program represents undergraduate academic studies in the field of Informatics at the University of Novi Sad, performed at the Faculty of Sciences.
Professional, academic or scientific title
Upon completing the studies, successful candidate obtains degree BSc in Informatics – Information Technologies.
Study program structure
The requirement for obtaining the degree in Informatics – Information Technologies is that the student passes all the mandatory courses existing within the study program and collect a total of 240 ECTS. The study program plan consists of mandatory courses and a set of elective courses.
There are 21 mandatory courses, 146 ECTS in total. There are six mandatory courses at first, second and third year, while on the fourth year there are three. These courses represent a universally accepted basis for the basic academic education of every computer scientist and IT expert. They cover the basics of programming (procedural and object-oriented), algorithms, databases, operating systems, computer communications, networks, but also the necessary mathematical apparatus. Courses include topics in software engineering, as well as theoretical and practical teaching content for the modeling and implementation of complex information system.
Knowledge is supplemented with the offer of elective courses. Students choose the appropriate number of offered electives in accordance with the wishes and necessary number of ECTS points for the successful completion of the year or study. Elective subjects are more specialized (adapted to the age of students, as well as the goal of a study program) than general and informatics, mathematics and pedagogical subjects, and there are a total of 34 offered. Most of these elective courses are independent, so they do not require special requirements for enrollment, except for the defined years of studies during which they are offered, in order to provide their logical linking to contents adopted as part of mandatory courses.
During lectures, an audit method is used, predominantly frontal, with the use of computer equipment and other contemporary visual teaching aids. Besize, individual group and individual teaching methods are also used. We keep up the good contemporary trends of academic IT education, with emphasis on exercises, practical work of students on computers, as well as on other aspects of individual and group teaching, such as projects, seminar papers, homework, papers and others.
Duration of studies
The duration of studies is 4 years, 240 ECTS in total.
The value of the courses
The number of ECTS for each course is shown in the curriculum table, organized by semesters and years of study, as well as in the tables within the specification of courses.
Prerequisites for enrollment to courses
The preconditions for enrolling to individual courses or group of courses are indicated in the curriculum tables.
Purpose of the study program
The purpose of the study program for gaining a degree in IT – Information Technologies is:
- general education of IT experts, capable of practical work on computers in the industry at all stages and roles during development of software solutions,
- understanding the relationship of software development with other aspects of business and the theoretical basis;
- IT education for participation in the development and application of software systems, as well as for the work in the application of information technologies in education, security, health and other areas of human labor;
- preparing for further studies in the field of IT or computer science (by choosing appropriate elective subjects, the student can easily specialize in general business applications or to more fundamental IT studies);
- IT education for acquiring modern, high-tech knowledge required in the IT industry to solve practical problems with the use of advanced IT concepts;
- preparation of students for teaching in the field of IT in elementary and secondary schools – elective courses which enable the acquisition of 36 ESPB from a group of pedagogical-psychological subjects are also offered;
- preparing for further studies and acquiring knowledge necessary for scientific research work and further training in that direction at universities and in scientific institutes.
The main purpose of this study program is the training of IT specialists with emphasis on the field of information technologies. The experts of this kind are recognized as a necessary human resource for the development of a knowledge-based society, ie an information society that has already been significantly developed in the countries of the European Union, the United States, Australia, Japan, etc. Since 2000, Serbia has also been exposed to the increased need for IT staff due to increased investments and the emergence of foreign companies and standards in the IT field, as well as in other areas that have the need for IT support.
Goals of the study program
The goals of the undergraduate IT study program are:
- acquainting with the basic information principles, methods and techniques necessary for solving problems with computers, as well as for the use of computers in different areas of human activity using the latest technologies and tools;
- adoption of basic knowledge, methods and techniques on programming and programming languages, programming paradigms (structured, object-oriented, functional and logical programming), algorithms, operating systems, databases and information systems using the latest technologies and tools;
- acquainting with the basic mathematical disciplines necessary for analysis, understanding, problem solving, and for successful application of information principles and techniques;
- upgrading of basic informatics knowledge with advanced principles and techniques in the IT field;
- preparation for the successful application of IT in practice;
- preparation for further upgrading of knowledge, as a theoretical and practical basis for the adoption of more complex contents in the IT field ie. for further study at academic studies;
- the development of a high degree of abstract, analytical and synthetic, logical thinking and understanding of different degree abstractions in the informational domain;
- developing the initiative and the ability to independently solve problems using the computer using the adopted principles and techniques;
- adoption of advanced knowledge in the IT field, including software engineering, information systems, programming languages, artificial intelligence, methodology, pedagogy and theoretical foundations of informatics;
- education of all-round experts in the IT field, who will be able to participate in the work of software teams, to work as lecturers in primary and secondary schools and to contribute to the study of IT.
Description of general and subject-specific competencies of students
A graduated IT expert who completes this study program will acquire:
- ability to analyze and synthesize;
- ability to apply knowledge in practice;
- the ability to use the latest technologies and tools in practice;
- ability to make decisions;
- learning ability;
- knowledge of a foreign language;
- R & D knowledge (in IT field).
In addition to the above, he or she will also be prepared for:
- independent and team-based work in software development;
- successful teaching of IT in primary and secondary schools;
- initiating scientific-research activities at universities and scientific institutes.
Description of learning outcomes
After graduation, a successful student will have:
- basic knowledge in basic mathematics;
- ability of logical thinking, formulation of assumptions and conclusions in a formal and formalized way;
- the ability to understand and formulate the problem and its modeling to enable its analysis and resolution;
- programming skills in the procedural, functional and object-oriented programming paradigm;
- understanding of all phases in the software development cycle: requirements, analysis, design (design), implementation, testing and maintenance;
- practical skills in the use of program environments, relational database management systems and CASE tools;
- understanding of current principles, techniques and trends in IT development;
- knowledge of concepts and theoretical settings of computer science;
- knowledge from certain related fields of mathematical and social sciences, which will allow him to apply principles in practice in solving problems from different domains.
There are a total of 21 mandatory courses that take 146 ECTS (60%). The first, second and third years incorporate six mandatory courses, while the fourth year has three. Elective courses fill the remaining ECTS to at least 240 for a four-year study program. List of elective courses contains 34 of them, with a semester or semesters within which the courses are accessible. So, during the first year there are 21 offered courses (per semester: 9/12) with a total value of 120 ECTS, at the second year there are 24 (10/14), taking 153 ECTS, at the third year, 31 (12/19), with 209 ECTS in total, and in the fourth year there are 34 courses (15/19) of the total value of 211 ECTS.
Elective courses are either general-educational in character, or they include some specific information content, which complements the basic level of IT education. Within this program, the predetermined forms of teaching are lectures and exercises.
Criteria that must be met when choosing courses are:
- The sum of ECTS for each year other than the final must be at least 60, while in the final year the sum may be smaller,
- the total of ECTS points in total during all years is at least 240,
- there has to be at least 20 teaching hours per week in every semester,
- there has to be at least 10 hours of lectures per week in every semester.
Curriculum ordered by semesters and years of study for the study program
|Course code||Course title||Semester||Course type||Course status||Active classes||Other classes||ECTS|
|1||IT101||Introduction to Programming||1||TM||O||2||2||1||0||8|
|2||IT151||Analysis for Students of Informatics||1||AO||O||3||3||0||0||8|
|3||IT152||Discrete Structures 1||1||AO||O||3||2||0||0||7|
|4||IT102||Data Structure and Algorithms I||2||TM||O||2||1||2||0||7|
|5||IT103||Introduction to e-Business||2||AO||O||2||0||2||0||6|
|6||IT153||Discrete Structures 2||2||AO||O||3||2||0||0||7|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||15||10||5||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||30||43|
|1||IT201||Object-Oriented Programming 1||3||TM||O||2||2||2||0||8|
|2||IT202||Data Structures and Algorithms 2||3||TM||O||3||0||2||0||7|
|4||IT251||Automata and Algorithms||4||NS||O||3||2||0||0||7|
|6||IT205||Object-Oriented Programming 2||4||NS||O||2||2||2||0||8|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||15||7||10||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||32||44|
|1||IT301||Operating Systems 1||5||TM||O||2||1||2||0||7|
|3||IT303||Modeling of Information Systems||5||TM||O||2||1||2||0||7|
|5||IT305||Development of Information Systems||6||NS||O||3||0||2||0||7|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||14||2||12||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||28||39|
|1||IT401||Component Based Development||7||SA||O||2||0||3||0||7|
|2||IT451||Combinatorics, Probability and Statistics||7||TM||O||3||2||0||0||6|
|3||IT402||Architecture, Design and Patterns||8||NS||O||3||0||2||0||7|
|Total hours (lectures / exercises + DON / other lessons):||8||2||5||0|
|Total hours of active teaching and credits per year:||15||20|
|Total hours of active teaching, other classes and credits for all years of study:||105||146|
- Course type: AO-academic-general education, TM-theoretical-methodological, NS-scientific-professional, SA-professional-applicative
- Course status: O-mandatory, I-elective
- Active teaching hours: P-lectures, V-exercises, DON-other forms of teaching (laboratory exercises, seminars, etc., depending on from the specificity of the study program)
|Course code||Course title||Semester||Course type||Course status||Active classes||Other classes||ECTS|
|Elective group of courses for the winter semester|
|1||IT601||Softverski praktikum 1||1,3,5,7||SA||I||1||0||3||0||6|
|3||IT603||Seminarski rad A||1,3,5,7||SA||I||1||0||2||0||5|
|7||IT607||Engleski jezik 1||1,3,5,7||AO||I||3||0||0||0||4|
|8||IT608||Artificial intelligence 1||3,5,7||NS||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|9||IT609||Seminarski rad C||1,3,5,7||SA||I||1||0||2||0||5|
|10||IT610||Compiler Construction 1||3,5,7||NS||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|11||IT611||Software Engineering for Database Systems||5,7||NS||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|12||IT612||Formal Methods in Engineering||1,3,5,7||NS||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|13||IT613||Mobile application development||5,7||SA||I||2||0||3||0||7|
|14||IT614||Introduction to Software Quality||1,3,5,7||NS||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|15||PMF01||Razvojna i pedagoška psihologija||1,3,5,7||AO||I||3||1||0||0||5|
|Elective group of courses for the summer semester|
|16||IT615||Softverski praktikum 2||2,4,6,8||SA||I||1||0||3||0||6|
|18||IT617||Seminarski rad B||2,4,6,8||SA||I||1||0||2||0||5|
|19||IT618||Computer Graphics 1||2,4,6,8||NS||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|20||IT619||Seminarski rad D||2,4,6,8||SA||I||1||0||2||0||5|
|21||IT620||Engleski jezik 2||2,4,6,8||AO||I||3||0||0||0||4|
|22||IT621||Operating Systems 2||6,8||SA||I||2||1||2||0||7|
|24||IT623||Software Project Management||2,4,6,8||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|25||IT624||Information Systems Development Process||6,8||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|29||IT628||Advanced Web Programming||6,8||SA||I||2||0||2||0||6|
|30||IT629||Advanced Functional Programming||4,6,8||NS||I||2||0||2||0||6|